With a toddler and baby to entertain it is often difficult to find new and exciting places to take the kids in Northern Ireland that doesn’t cost a fortune! We recently took a trip to the Giants Lair which locates in Slieve Gullion Forest Park just outside Newry and had an amazing day!
The Giant’s Lair at Slieve Gullion is really a must-see attraction for all those with young children. It is an innovative attraction based on bringing to life a magical storybook based on local legend and mythical folklore. The attraction guides you through the forest, past numerous fairy houses, dragons, giants and witches right up to the magical Fairy Kingdom in the tree tops!
The Giants Lair is situated right beside the Slieve Gullion Adventure Play park, with handy car parking available and is FREE, yes you heard me FREEE to walk round and explore. Here are a few handy tips for your visit to the magical land of giants.
- Don’t reply on sat nav to get there, it just will not work! For directions click here.
- The carpark has limited spaces so during peak periods get down earlier or be prepared to walk or do a park and ride.
- The trail takes you UP into the forest so a backpack carrier or baby sling is recommended for tots. However we managed really well with a normal umbrella stroller.
- The route is only about a mile long so toddlers used to doing a bit of walking will be grand.
- There is a great playwark on site beside the carpark.
- Toilets and restaurant also available on site.
- There aren’t many places to have a picnic on the route so if bringing one just leave it in the car as there is adequate picnic areas when you return after the walk.
- All outdoors so best to go on a dry day.
The Giant’s Lair takes your little ones on a magical journey that will get their imaginations buzzing!! Definitely worth doing this summer!!